I have enjoyed a long and varied career encompassing journalism, marketing and communications, arts administration, leadership and capacity-building, community advocacy and representation, and policy development. I have worked in the community, not-for-profit and government sectors.
A showreel of some of my experiences can be viewed here.
Since August 2017, I have been a senior executive within the South Australian Public Service focussing on Aboriginal Affairs policy. From July 2021 to January 2022, I was seconded to TANDANYA – National Aboriginal Cultural Institute as the organisation’s Interim Chief Executive Officer.
From 2015 to 2017, I was CEO of the National Centre of Indigenous Excellence (NCIE) in the Sydney suburb of Redfern. For two years prior to this, I was the elected female Co-Chair of the national representative body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples. In this role, I also co-chaired the national Close the Gap campaign, the National Health Leadership Forum (NHLF), and the Change the Record campaign to end the incarceration of, and family violence against, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Previously, I was the Editor (and sometimes Managing Editor) of the 100% Aboriginal owned and controlled newspaper the Koori Mail in Lismore NSW for about seven years; inaugural Executive Officer of the Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre in Canberra; Director of TANDANYA; Director of Public Affairs for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) in Canberra; Media Adviser to the then Federal Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs Robert Tickner; Editor of a regional newspaper in Queensland’s Atherton Tablelands; and a journalist for ABC Radio and the West Australian newspaper.
I have been a Director of Reconciliation Australia for about a decade, and am a past Independent Journalist Member of the Australian Press Council, and a past Board member of the Indigenous Remote Communications Association (IRCA).
My achievements include:
- Winner of the David Unaipon Award for an Emerging Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Writer as part of the 2018 Queensland Literary Awards (Copyright Agency – 30th David Unaipon Award);
- An inaugural Australian Peacewoman Award from the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (2015);
- Named in the Australian Financial Review and Westpac inaugural 100 Women of Influence Awards (2012);
- Editor of the Koori Mail when it was named 2011 Newspaper of the Year (in its circulation category of the PANPA Awards);
- Jointly with the Koori Mail, won the print media category of the 2008 Australian Human Rights Awards; and
- Received a Centenary Medal for contribution to the Indigenous community and Australian life (2003), and an International Women’s Day Award for service to the SA community (2000).
I’m a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, Goodooga Local Aboriginal Land Council (LALC), TANDANYA, and First Nations Media Australia (Associate member)